History of the Seal of the City of Greenville
H.H. Duncan, City Clerk, conceived the idea in 1952 that the City of Greenville should have a City Seal to represent the City of Greenville, North Carolina. After studying the seals of several cities in the United States and the great Seal of North Carolina, he interviewed Mr. K. A. Conway, Designer, for the purpose of having him design a seal for the City of Greenville and explaining the representations he thought to be good to incorporate.
The Seal of the City of Greenville, North Carolina, was then designed to depict the influence of the Bright-Leaf Tobacco Industry on our city and Pitt County, which is represented on the seal by the hank of "Golden Leaf". The City of Greenville's educational advantages--our good school system and East Carolina University, in which we take such great pride--a re represented with a "Diploma Scroll" and a figure dressed in an "Academic Cap" and "Gown".
Since Greenville was established in 1774, this is the date used on the seal. After Mr. Conway designed the seal, Mrs. R.B. Starling contributed to the completion of it.
H. H. Duncan, City Clerk, had this seal made in 1957 for the approval of the Greenville City Council. The design was approved by the City Council on April 11, 1957.