The following six objectives for the project are outlined below:
1. Increase connectivity between places to the east and places to the west via improved multimodal access. This includes connecting the Hospital with areas to the east, the University and downtown Greenville with areas to the west, and ECU’s main campus with the Health Science Center.
2. Provide a grade-separated crossing with CSX Railroad from eastern North Carolina to the Hospital/Health Science campus to improve emergency response time.
3. Create a direct connection between Stantonsburg Road and Tenth Street to improve vehicular, pedestrian, bicycle, and transit access.
4. Provide an opportunity to change West Fifth Street Drive from a major thoroughfare to a neighborhood collector street.
5. Sustain and support economic development of Greenville, ECU, and PCMH.
6. Construct a facility consistent with recommendations from local and regional plans, including the 2004 Horizons plan, the 2005/2006 Center City-West Greenville Revitalization Plan, and the 2005 Greenville Urban Area Thoroughfare Plan.