The mission of the Community Development Department is to administer and implement policies, programs, and services authorized by the Greenville City Council that shape the physical environment of the City and provide services to the citizens of Greenville in a professional manner.
The Community Development Department is comprised of five divisions:
- The Administrative Division oversees and supervises all of the activities within the Community Development Department.
- The Code Enforcement Division works to address neighborhood concerns from both an advocacy and enforcement point of view.
- The Planning Division serves as the administrative and technical coordinator for current land development and long-range planning activities within the city's 65 square-mile planning jurisdiction.
- The Housing Division administers and monitors programs to assist low and moderate-income citizens, including federal CDBG and HOME programs and local affordable housing initiatives.
- The Inspections Division's goal is to protect the safety and well-being of all of Greenville and its Extra Territorial Jurisdiction (ETJ), and to support development by providing building permit service and enforcing the North Carolina State Building Codes.