Greenville has many actively engaged residents working to better our community. A responsibility of the Greenville Human Relations Council (GHRC) is to recognize and celebrate individuals, groups and/or organizations who have promoted human relations in Greenville. Except for the Best-Irons Humanitarian Awards, nominees who have contributed significantly to the betterment of Greenville may reside outside the city limits. Listed below are the categories and the criteria for each award:
Best-Irons Humanitarian Award
This award honors individuals, organizations, or businesses with a commitment to positive human relations in Greenville. It recognizes an individual and a business (organization) that have made Greenville a better place through their commitment to promote social, racial, and economic justice; defending human rights; and/or enhancing the dignity of all people. Recipients may be considered “unsung heroes” who have energized others to improve the opportunities and quality of life for residents of Greenville and have unselfishly shared their time and expertise and consistently and willingly extended a helping hand to others – often without seeking recognition.
Distinguished Inclusive Community Award
This award honors organizations or businesses that have demonstrated a significant contribution toward creating a diverse and inclusive community through the implementation of policies, procedures, initiatives, and/or programs in one or more of the following areas:
- Recruitment and retention of an excellent and diverse staff, faculty, or student body.
- Foster equality of opportunity within our community.
- Encourage diverse perspectives.
- Create a welcoming and supportive climate through efforts such as visibility, communication, and education.
- Other areas critical to establishing inclusivity.
Community Service Award (Volunteerism)
This award honors individuals and/or organizations that provide outstanding volunteer services that strengthen our community and improve the lives of our residents. The age criteria for the awards are:
- Youth Community Service Award recognizes the dedication of an individual 17 years of age or younger
- Adult Community Service Award recognizes the dedication of an individual age 18 and older
- The Community Service Business/Organization Award recognizes any business/organization or agency for their volunteer efforts.