Riding the Bus
The bus will stop at the designated bus stops along each route. When the bus approaches, check the route number above the windshield to make sure you have the right bus. For safety reasons, passengers may only get on or off at designated bus stops. As you board, please have exact change or your fare pass or ticket ready.
To notify the driver that you want to get off, pull the cord above the passenger windows. The bus driver will stop at the next stop along the route. If you have questions about reaching your destination, please call a customer service representative at 252.329.4532.
Rules of the Road for Passengers
GREAT buses are equipped with audio and video recording equipment. Passengers are subject to having their voice and image recorded.
Please remember that:
- Smoking, eating, and drinking are prohibited at all times.
- Playing any audible device out loud is prohibited at all times.
- Using any profanity, obscene, and/or threatening language is prohibited at all times.
- Children must be under adult supervision at all times.
- Have your exact fare ready when boarding. For those paying the discount fare, please remember to also have your Discount fare ID ready to show the driver.
- Please remember to reserve the first two seats on the bus for those in need and to take your seat as quickly as possible. If there are no more seats available, please stand holding on to a grab bar.
- Strollers must be stored clear of any aisle or exit.
- Drivers do not carry any change. Exact fare is required.
- Please be at the bus stop 5 minutes ahead of the scheduled arrival time.
- The GREAT buses stop only at designated bus stops.
- Do not walk in front or behind the bus after exiting. Please wait for the bus to leave the bus stop before attempting to cross the street.
Anyone Can Ride!
Greenville Area Transit is committed to providing the best service to all types of riders. GREAT complies with both ADA regulations and State of North Carolina accessibility requirements. All GREAT buses have features to aid persons with disabilities.
Any persons with any comment, concern, inquiry, and/or complaint about GREAT's accessibility services should call 252.329.4532.
Vehicle FeaturesThe following list of features is available on every GREAT bus:
- Fold-out wheelchair ramps
- Space for two wheelchairs on every bus
- Audio and visual announcements of major stops
- Reserved seating areas for elderly and disabled
- Kneeling vehicles to make boarding easier
Trained service animals are allowed to ride free of charge on all GREAT vehicles. Customers traveling with a service animal should notify the operator immediately upon boarding. Service dogs may travel without a muzzle but must be on a leash. All service animals must be kept under control by their owners at all times. Service animals may sit on their owner's lap or under a seat but may not occupy a seat. Service animals may not block an aisle or exit way. Passengers with disruptive or destructive service animals may be asked to remove them from the vehicle.
Wheelchair and Other Mobility Devices
For safety reasons, all wheelchairs and other mobility devices must be secured while being transported. Mobility devices should be turned off while secured inside the bus. Any passenger who does not permit the vehicle operator to secure their wheelchair or other mobility device may be refused service. Mobility devices which are believed to present substantial risk of serious harm may also be refused. Additionally, wheelchairs or other mobility devices may be refused service on all buses or a series of buses if they are found to exceed the maximum acceptable footprint of 30 inches wide by 48 inches long.
Persons with a disability that prevents them from using the GREAT buses may qualify for a paratransit service provided by GREAT through the Pitt Area Transit System (PATS). This is a special van curb-to-curb service that is available only to qualified disabled applicants. This service is provided during the same hours that the GREAT bus service is provided. For more information, please call us at the GREAT office at 252.329.4532.