Life Safety Services conducts routine and specialized fire inspections on every building within the City of Greenville except one and two family residences. Inspections are also performed within a one mile radius outside of the city limits (extraterritorial jurisdiction). Home and residential inspections are done on request by the resident. On average, 3,500 inspections are conducted annually and are performed in accordance with the NC State Fire Code by State-certified inspectors.
Check the link for a list of some of the most common fire code violations.
Be sure to walk through your facility and correct any items listed.
You can now fill out and submit your permit applications online using our new portal. Click here to use the online system. Instructional videos on how to register for an account using the Citizen Self Serve Portal and how to apply for a state required licensing inspection are available below.
How to Register for a Citizen Self Service Account
How to Apply for a State Required Licensing Inspection
Fire Inspection Schedule
The North Carolina General Statutes state that Fire Code inspections are required for all places of business.
The minimum frequency rates for inspections are as follows:
1 Year Inspections
- High Rise
- Residential (except one and two family dwellings)
- Assembly (ie: restaurants, clubs and other places of entertainment)
2 Year Inspections
- Industrial facilities
- Educational facilities (except public schools*)
3 Year Inspections
- Churches and synagogues
*Public schools are inspected twice a year
In the event of a fire, the bureau will conduct an investigation to determine the cause and origin. Members of the Life Safety Services staff are certified as NC Fire/Arson Investigators and receive specialized training in this area. They work with other agencies such as local law enforcement, State Bureau of Investigation (SBI), Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) and insurance investigators.
- User Guide for Online Permit/Inspection Application Portal
- Customizable Fire Emergency Guide
- Emergency Responder Radio Coverage Guide
- Fire Watch Requirements and Log
- Sample Emergency Light Log
- Restaurant/Commercial Kitchen Safety Sheet
- Request Courtesy Inspection
- Exhibit/Tradeshow Checklist
- Fireworks Permit Checklist
- Fumigation/Fogging Checklist
- Open Burning Checklist
- Tent and Canopy Checklist
- North Carolina Fire Code
- Knox Box - Commercial/Multi-Family Dwelling
- Knox Box - Residential/Single-Family Dwelling