The idea for the Center came about in public discussions in the 1990s with Mayor Nancy Jenkins. In 2000, the City of Greenville, Pitt County, East Carolina University, Pitt County Memorial Hospital, and the NC Department of Transportation formed a partnership to sponsor a regional transportation feasibility study. The goal was to "catalogue the existing services being provided and to explore the potential ways that service could be combined or coordinated within the region."
Within the recommendations of the study was a call for a regional transportation authority to identify potential transportation centers. It noted that "this development work is already underway with plans for an intermodal transportation center in downtown Greenville."
Another regional transit feasibility study was completed in 2003 and recommended a center which would be "a central point for transportation within the city, offering easy access to services and making connections under one roof. The center could potentially serve buses, taxis, limousines, package express, private car parking, bicycles and pedestrians, as well as possible future rail service."
The Greenville Intermodal Transportation Center Feasibility Study was completed in 2006 and confirmed that such a center would "improve service quality for transit riders, make it easier to transfer between services, and to contribute to downtown revitalization." It further stated that other cities who have built centers for similar reasons "have generally been successful."
After a process which included stakeholders from ECU, Greenville, Pitt County, Uptown Greenville, property owners, trasit riders, and many other interested citizens, a site was selected bounded by Evans and Cotanche Streets and 8th and 9th Streets. The City Council directed City staff to go back and come up with other site options.
Maps, Presentations, Studies, and other information from prior to the summer of 2012:
- Pure Oil Service Station Report
- Museum of Art Report
- Historic Preservation Committee Update and Public Parking and Transportation Committee
- Site Selection and Conceptual Design Study--February 2009
- Final Operating Model Report--October 2008
- Greenville Intermodal Transportation Center Feasibility Study: Final Report; March 2006
- Regional Transit Feasibility Study: Final Report, September 2003
- Greenville Intermodal Transportation Center Feasibility Study: Executive Summary
- Regional Transit Feasibility Study: Executive Summary, September 2003